Tuesday, January 19

2016 Valentine's Day Card #1

The first Valentine's Day card for 2016 is inspired by a YouTube video posted by Jennifer McGuire last year. In the video she used border stamps to create a super simple, yet fun card. Unfortunately, I don't have border stamps, but I do have tons of... WASHI TAPE!!! So with that, I began creating my take on the border card.

Because I'm sure I suffer from a not-so-mild case of OCD, I started by making sure the 4.5" x 6.5" white cardstock was lined up with the 30 degree mark on the cutting mat. Doing this not only helps me place the washi tape at a nice angle, but it also helps me place it as straight as possible. It not necessary, but it probably would have driven me crazy if I hadn't.

After placing the first piece of washi tape, I decided I wanted a little variation in the width of some of the washi tape. In order to do that, I pulled a piece a little longer than what I needed, and placed it on a piece of wax paper. The wax paper serves two purposes: 1) It's easy to remove washi tape from it, and 2) it's transparent enough that I can see the guidelines underneath it, so I can make sure I cut the washi tape straight.

I continued to place different washi tape on the cardstock until I reached the bottom, the I wrapped all the ends to the back.

From there, I used Ranger's jet black Archival Ink to stamp the second part of the sentiment, "YOUR STYLE", and then used an awl to put a hole big enough for the heart brad, inserted heart, and secured the fastener to the back with tape (so it won't turn).

Next, I stamped the first part of the sentiment, "LOVE". The is an outline of the word, so I used a sharpie to fill it in. The sharpies don't have the color names on them, so I'm guessing the color is Magenta. I then used Perfect Pen on top of the shapie, and covered it with Wow! Clear Gloss Ultra High embossing power.

In the next step, I masked off the washi tape section closest to the sentiment, and then applied distress ink to the top portion of the cardstock. I applied Worn Lipstick first and then Seedless Preserves.

The last step was to adhere the finished project to the card base (I used Scor-Tape because it was the first double sided tape I grabbed.), and voilĂ !

Well, I hope you enjoyed going through the process with me, and hopefully I won't get sidetracked and will post a V-Day card #2 soon.

~Jackie





No comments:

Post a Comment