Friday, November 28

The Diva's Weekly Challenge #195

Hi! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday. Mine was filled with turkey, rolls, gumbo and cake. I was in heaven. lol

Anyway, this week for The Diva's Weekly Challenge the theme was "Turning Old into New". Guest blogger Sandy Hunter, CZT asked us to take a grid based tangle and make it a free form tangle, or take a free form tangle and put it into a grid. It took me awhile to choose a tangle, but in the end I went back to a grid tangle I really like, "Maelstrom". I think I like it so much because in its grid form it looks like fabric, and I've used that line of thought in a couple of drawings.

Maelstrom in a circle diamond pattern.

Maelstrom with a variation on the circle part.

This week's challenge was a great exercise in literally thinking outside the box, which is something I need to work on. I got to a late start, but I really like how it turned out.


And the new pattern has made its way into my new reference book. *^_^*


Thanks for stopping by!

- Jackie



21 comments:

  1. I like this pattern's choice and the feeling of flying out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I didn't notice that until you pointed it out... they look like propellers. It's kind of funny how it worked out that way.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Nice way to set it free. I have seen this tangle but never used it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I can probably count on two fingers how many times I've used this with other tangles. Maybe because it's doing a lot all by itself.

      Delete
  3. The name of this tangle fits the idea of being outside the grid and free, doesn't it? Nice work of making it come alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After looking at a few of the other submissions, it seems like there are quite a few tangles that were "born to be free". :o)

      Delete
  4. You've done very well with this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great example of freeing this from the grid. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminded me of propellers or windmills. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice "new" pattern. It totally has it's place in anyone's reference book. It's going straignt into mine too. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Nat on this. Straight into the reference book. Really lovely

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful! I didn´t notice this pattern before and will try it out right now in its old and also your new way! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like this pattern has gone unnoticed by quite a few people. I'm glad I could shine a little light on it. I would love to see how you use them. :o)

      Delete
  10. Love the ladies and the Maelstrom out of the grid. I haven't used this tile other than to put it in my book.

    ReplyDelete